Monday, May 19, 2008

"42nd Street Forever, Vol. 3"

If you know me, then you know that I love movies. And, if you know me more than those who only know that I love movies, then you also know that I love movie trailers. And, if you know all (both) of those wonderful facts about me, then you are holding the very knowledge that very few can claim to have held. That, in itself, is a remarkable achievement. Perhaps not. I might be giving too much credit. You might know this, simply from reading my "about me" bio. If that is the case, then, you must be an acquaintance! Nice try, deep fry. I'm onto your shifty business and kuh-niving ways!

Anyway, with that said, I L-O-V-E the 42ND STREET FOREVER series of DVDs from Synapse Films. Yesterday, upon my DVD buying travels, I finally came across the latest volume entitled EXPLOITATION EXPLOSION. After reading the contents on the back of the case, I could hardly wait to get home and pop the disc in my player, thereby losing myself in an array of movie trailer madness. It's as if the good folks at Synapse have harnessed the ability to read my mind. "Hey, hasn't Nathan been longing to see some of these trailers and/or TV spots since the dawn of his existence?" "Yes, Synapse Films, I have!" It's as if Synapse is the Superman to my Lois Lane. "Can You Read My Mind?" reference. You're welcome.

In addition to reading my thoughts, Synapse also has a know-how on when to release a trailer that has not been previously released on the respective DVD of the film in question. One example from the previous volume is the inclusion of the trailer to Abel Ferrara's vigilante classic, MS. 45, a feature which is sorely lacking from the DVD released by Image Entertainment (yet another reason not to buy the disc, the other is that the film itself is NOT uncut). Synapse has done the same good deed once again here on Vol. 3, by adding the trailer to Jeanott Szwarc's BUG. Paramount released the film to DVD years ago, and we all know those mountain folk be skimpin' on the extras, especially in the theatrical trailer department.

Here is the "track listing" in the order they appear on the DVD (titles ending with an asterisk are those which I was particularly excited about, having not seen them before)...

Theatrical Trailers:

  • SUDDEN DEATH
  • THE ONE-ARMED EXECUTIONER *
  • JAGUAR LIVES!
  • ENTER THE NINJA *
  • LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH
  • FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH
  • THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER
  • BEYOND THE DOOR
  • DEMONOID *
  • THE NIGHT CHILD
  • DEVIL TIMES FIVE
  • PATRICK
  • JENNIFER *
  • PHASE IV *
  • BUG *
  • THE UNCANNY *
  • THE PACK *
  • ALLIGATOR
  • KILLER FISH *
  • SHARK'S TREASURE *
  • BLOOD BEACH *
  • HOT T-SHIRTS *
  • CHEERLEADERS' WILD WEEKEND *
  • SUMMER SCHOOL TEACHERS *
  • GORP *
  • KING FRAT *
  • PRISON GIRLS
  • 1000 CONVICTS AND A WOMAN
  • CHAIN GANG WOMEN
  • THE PENTHOUSE
  • THE HOUSE BY THE LAKE *
  • NIGHT CALL NURSES
  • THE YOUNG NURSES
  • CANDY STRIPE NURSES
  • THE LIFE AND TIMES OF XAVIERA HOLLANDER
  • THE HAPPY HOOKER GOES HOLLYWOOD *
  • SURVIVE! *
  • GUYANA: CULT OF THE DAMNED *
  • SEVEN
  • SCORCHY *
  • SAVAGE STREETS *
  • CONVOY *
  • HIGH BALLIN' *
  • FROM NOON TILL THREE *
  • TELEFON *
  • LIES
  • TATTOO *

Vintage Television Spots:

  • JAGUAR LIVES!
  • HIGH BALLIN' *
  • CHAMPION OF DEATH
  • THE SENIORS *
  • THE LAST SURVIVOR
  • THE JESUS TRIP
  • NAKED ANGELS
  • BILLY JACK *
  • GOLDEN NEEDLES

Of course, I can't wait for Volume Four! Keep 'em comin'!

No comments: